My friend Dalton posted this on his facebook, and I just loved it.
"Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." -Marcel Proust
I feel this really stupid connection to Marcel Proust. Not for any special reason, (aside from this quote, I really haven't read much of his stuff). But I played Nellie Forbush in "South Pacific" last year, and had several lines that referred to Marcel Proust.
I really miss that show.
I mean, I REALLY miss that show.
I think that show is my most favorite show that I've done in a long while. I loved the people, I loved the character, I loved the story, I loved who I was privileged to perform with and learn from. Even though I've done shows since that time, I feel like that was the most supported show that I was in. In following shows, my support seemed to almost die down and turn against me, and so South Pacific is very near and dear to my heart. I will always feel grateful to have been a part of that story. It sounds so cheesy and cliche', but every night, some old couple or widow or man would come out with teary eyes and thank us for singing those songs, and for telling that story. They would relay how special those times were, how hard it was, how South Pacific was when they met their sweetheart, etc. And it really is fulfilling and satisfying to help people experience something for 2 hours, WHATEVER that may be: laughter, sadness, anger, anything. It is a privilege to tell stories like that, especially other people's stories, and....I just really like it. In fact, here are some pictures, that's how much I liked it.
That's all.








So wish we could have seen you in this role. It looks like you were perfectly cast and played it well! Let us know if you come east again for a visit, maybe we can connect.
ReplyDelete