i try. i make mistakes. i grow. i love. i love to eat pineapple. i cook and bake whenever i can. thai food is good for my soul. i collect blankets, sweat pants, and crazy socks. i believed i was peter pan when i was a child. i love to love. summertime is my favorite. i love feeling the sun on my face. i have a lot of good intentions. i had a bowl cut when i was younger. shakespeare was a genius. i love to laugh. God is everywhere. i love having painted toes. i am very blessed, and i try to "live life, every, every moment"

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

hypocritical thinking

A couple weeks ago, I posted a link to my facebook about how people live their lives through instagram: how we only post the highlights of our lives, leaving others to think that nothing is ever wrong with us, that we are never sad, or that our life is something that it really isn't. Sure, we experience moments of "awesomeness" and things worth sharing with our friends and the world, but for every thing there is an opposite. It is just meant to be that way.

Well everybody, in case you didn't know, I am a HUGE hypocrite.

I used to get really irritated at people who (on facebook) would just write about how miserable they were. I couldn't, and sometimes still can't, stand it when one person will ONLY write about how heartbroken they are, or how hard their life is, or how they hate their ex, or blah blah blah blah blah. My immediate response is "They are just looking for attention. Ugh." But....I've been thinking about that.

So what?

So what if they want attention? We all need and want attention, because.....that's sort of what basic human interaction is. And here is where the hypocritical part comes in. I hate seeing people posting so many things about their wonderful lives: "I'm doing this" " I'm eating that" "My boyfriend/husband bought me this" " I got engaged here", blah blah blah. BUT....if somebody shows an ounce of negativitiy, I immediately think "Ugh, they are soo needy. They need to learn how to find happiness elsewhere."

Terrible, right?

Absolutely terrible.

So why have I been reflecting on this? Well, I'll tell you. I guess it is no secret that sometimes my life is hard. And it wasn't until very recently that a dear friend wrote on my facebook wall "your statuses make me really concerned about you." The thing is, is that this friend knows me well. And for her to say something like that was a bit of an eye-opener. I have, in fact, become one of those people who has posted negative/insecure/"needy" things. Sure, it gets a response, and though the response isn't necessarily why I posted those things, I still got one. And....I started feeling bad. I started feeling stupid, and I started feeling sorry for posting my feelings. Now, I think we all put a lot of stock into social media, and this conversation wouldn't even be happening if it didn't matter. But it sort of does, and it has been on my mind.

So what is it that I'm trying to say?

I don't really know! I don't have a solution, I don't have a change, I don't have a reason behind it all, nor do I know how to think. I DO know, that I need to chill out a little bit, and just give myself and other people some slack. Guys, it's ok to feel things. And though I do think some serious discretion is needed to be used when writing personal things (perhaps revealing that your spouse is having an affair on facebook isn't the most....adult-like thing to do.....), it is alright.

I will be better. I will learn not to judge you harshly. I will learn to be more open. I will be more receptive. I will be more positive in my own outlook. And maybe, just maybe, we'll all be just fine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just....write it.