i try. i make mistakes. i grow. i love. i love to eat pineapple. i cook and bake whenever i can. thai food is good for my soul. i collect blankets, sweat pants, and crazy socks. i believed i was peter pan when i was a child. i love to love. summertime is my favorite. i love feeling the sun on my face. i have a lot of good intentions. i had a bowl cut when i was younger. shakespeare was a genius. i love to laugh. God is everywhere. i love having painted toes. i am very blessed, and i try to "live life, every, every moment"

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Even Though

When I was in New York last month, I saw the musical "Once." I know I'm REALLY BEHIND, but I cannot stop playing this song.


Music is so beautiful. It speaks to me in so many ways, and I only wish that I was more talented. I can sing, and I can play the piano (enough to teach me a melody and get the general gist of it.) Call me cheesy, but I really feel like music is a form of communication that God uses to touch my heart. Other artists and melodies seem to always be able to say things I don't know how to say, or convey a message I couldn't pinpoint.

I cry a lot because of music. Well, let me be clear. I cry a lot IN GENERAL. I didn't used to, believe it or not. And though it comes at the most random and inconvenient times, I will take an emotional and "experiencing" Kelly over the numb and heartless one. For example: On my way back from California, I was playing musicals and songs on my ipod that I hadn't listened to before, in hopes of finding some good audition pieces or some good pieces for a demo cd. I came across this song, "Even Though", from the musical "I Love You Because." (I know it can be more of a comedic song, but out of context, and in my car, it can be taken quite seriously.)


 By the end of these musical songs, you can usually sing along to the chorus at least. Let me tell you what, I connected so well to this song, that 2/3rd of the way through, I burst into tears and had a really good cry. I sang that song a few more times, cried it out, and then moved onto a new track.

Example two: The first time I heard this song "Superboy and the Invisible Girl", I sang along with it, and was crying by the end.


 There is something about children and teenagers not feeling loved, or growing up too fast, or SOMETHING, and it just pierces my little heart. I was driving on University Avenue in Provo when I heard it--cried it all out, and then moved on.

Example number three: Wreck it Ralph. When I saw this in theaters, I think I was crying about %83 of the time. I mean, these characters were so genuine, so real! And I watched it again tonight, and fought back tears the whole time so my family wouldn't make fun of me. Not that they would, it's just an insecurity I have.

Example number four: driving in my car.

Alas, I digress.

What I'm saying is, is music really speaks to me. I don't consider myself a musician, but I love music, and it brings me to emotional places I need to visit. It brings me joy, and sadness, and reminds me of the beautiful things that surround me.

That's what I'm trying to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just....write it.