So I have this friend.
He's really great. And as time goes by, I gain more and more respect for him and the way he treats me and every individual around him. Let me tell you why.
He has taught me what it means to be a friend. A real, true friend. He has taught me how friends should treat each other. He has shown me how humans deserve to be treated, and the amount of respect we should have.
I don't know what my definition of a "Friend" used to be. Perhaps it was something like "a friend makes you laugh and makes you feel good" or " a friend doesn't judge you when you cry" or "a friend comforts you when you feel low". But this friend.....THIS friend encourages me to be the best that I can be. He encourages me to pursue something that I really want, though I'm scared of it. He encourages me to overcome this trial, and to constantly work at it even though it is something that he hasn't attain at the moment either. He calls me, he checks in with me, he keeps contact with me to let me know he cares. He listens and discusses things with me, regardless of the hour. He helps me see different perspectives. When he looks, talks, and listens to me, I can FEEL confidence and support, like he genuinely cares about my well-being (and not in a romantic way.) If he disagrees with me, he explains why without an ounce of pride. If he agrees with me, he validates that and explains why I'm right or valid in thinking the way that I do. If he isn't sure, he pushes the conversation so we can figure it out, without hostility or anger. Maybe a real friend encourages you to do what YOU want and feel is right, even if it's not in line with what THEY do. I even don't feel like that gives my definition justice. It puts a twist on it that I am not meaning to put. But, that's how I feel.
I don't think I even know what I'm trying to say. Maybe I just want to let you know that I have a REALLY great friend, and am so lucky and grateful. So to you, my friend, thank-you.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Just....write it.