I had a really special experience yesterday as I watched the kids play basketball. I've started this post 5 or 6 times, and have accepted my failure in expressing myself. So this is what you get.
I have lost a lot of hope in the rising generation. I would place half the blame, if not most, on the parents. RAISE YOUR CHILDREN RIGHT. Do them the service of teaching them kindness and discipline, of compassion and love, of selfless endeavors and serving others. Take the time to show them how to be a real human being. I get discouraged as I watch some of these kids and think to myself "When I'm old, these guys will be making all the choices. We're doomed." But today, I watched a group of them go out of their way to play a basketball game with a special-needs student. I watched them repeatedly cheer him on until he made the basket, and high-five him for his efforts. I watched them sacrifice their challenging game of ball to accommodate a less talented yet equally willing student so he could enjoy the game as well. I watched them laugh with him, smile at him, encourage him, and essentially love him. I watched his eyes light up as he played with his new friends, and imagined the success he must have felt as he made his first basket.
And I thought to myself "Ya know, maybe we'll be alright."
This made me cry
ReplyDelete