To my dear, 8th grade girls:
I just want to tell you a few things.
Being 14 is hard. You are growing, and so are your friends. And sometimes, you grow apart. That's alright. My 7th grade year of school was possibly one of the worst years of my life (social/school-wise) and 8th grade wasn't much better. At least, not until March of 8th grade when I met the boy who would grow to be my best friend all through high school and a very dear friend even now. Trends change, homework is lame, and school can be boring; your parents are nagging you to do this, to finish that, or be better in this, and stop doing that. Can't somebody else give us the attention that our parents give us? Somebody that isn't my parent, and is maybe a boy, and maybe thinks I'm cute?
I think that you are all beautiful. Really, I do. I bet you don't see it in yourself, and if you do, you probably don't see all the beauty that I see. I know the boys asked you why you colored your hair darker, and rolled their eyes when you said "Because I wanted to, and I like it." That's alright. I think that it is wonderful that you are doing what you want to do. I like that you don't wear a lot of makeup, and I like that you don't feel that you have to. I like that you do wear a lot of makeup, and that you feel confident when you do. I like when you don't wear makeup at all. Either way, you are stunning.
Boys can be really dumb. I know, I get it. They don't mean to be, honest.They are just clueless on how to treat you. That's ok--they'll learn. Help them. Teach them. Be kind to them. But more importantly, be smart with them. As they learn more about you and how to treat you, let them see how smart you are. Don't go for cheap laughs, or petty glances. Be smart. Show them what it is like to spend time with a real human being, who is smart and beautiful and talented, because YOU ARE ALL OF THOSE THINGS.
Hang on to the friends that treat you well. Especially the boy-friends. Don't let the good ones go. Remember the night before Valentine's day when you were talking to your guy-friend on the phone and you said "I hope I get something for Valentine's Day, but I don't think that I will, and that's ok" even though it wasn't really okay? Remember when your guy friend the next day brought you flowers so you would feel special too, even though you weren't each other's Valentine's? Don't ever forget that. And don't ever forget him. Sure, maybe he's got a little somethin' for you that he is hiding in his heart. Maybe he doesn't. It doesn't matter. What matters is that he listened to you, and took a step to make YOU feel special. You'll find yourself saying "I can't like him, we're too good of friends" or "it'd be weird". Don't make the same mistake that I've made, over and over and over. If you've got a good friend, don't let him go. And hey---maybe nothing will come of it but a long-lasting friendship. But hey--what if something DOES?
Stay close to your parents. Tell them your worries. Let them yell at you. If you've made a mistake, let them ground you. They love you so much. They don't mean to yell all the time. Maybe they don't know any better. And that's ok. Because they love you. And they want you to be happy, and successful, and the truth is, is that they've been around a LOT longer than you have--maybe they actually DO know what they are talking about. Maybe, just maybe, they actually ARE on your side. Keep them close. Love and appreciate them, because they love and appreciate you, though they may not be the best at showing it.
Lastly, I just hope that you find something to believe in. Grab on to it, and never let it go. Whether its the dream of becoming a writer, or an actress, or a mommy. Grab it. Believe in something with all your heart. Let your heart learn what it feels like to love something with its whole being. Develop a moral code, and stick to it--be it Christianity, Catholicism, spirituality, Mormonism, be it anything. Anchor your life around it, and nurture it. The road ahead gets tough, but it is doable with the right attitude and love.
I watch you every day. I yearn to be more like you, to understand you more, and to love as freely as you do. I observe you shift and grow, and I want you to know that I am proud of you, and will always be cheering for you. You are beautiful. You are smart. You are talented. YOU ARE WORTH IT.
Love,
your half-teacher.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Just....write it.