i try. i make mistakes. i grow. i love. i love to eat pineapple. i cook and bake whenever i can. thai food is good for my soul. i collect blankets, sweat pants, and crazy socks. i believed i was peter pan when i was a child. i love to love. summertime is my favorite. i love feeling the sun on my face. i have a lot of good intentions. i had a bowl cut when i was younger. shakespeare was a genius. i love to laugh. God is everywhere. i love having painted toes. i am very blessed, and i try to "live life, every, every moment"

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Is Facebook a little OUT OF CONTROL? Maybe. Maybe not.

Ok, so at the risk of this post becoming controversial, let me just state this right away: I. Am. Not. Trying. To. Start. A. Debate.


So with that said, I wanted to just comment on something that I have witnessed over the last couple of days. Somehow, Facebook (as much as we love it all) is sometimes misused by individuals. Yes? No? Just a thought. As we see below, a dear friend put a status, and recieved 50 COMMENTS regarding it. What I am talking about is not prop 8, its not the issue, its not the support, its not any of that. I am referring to the madness that this status created. It is so interesting to me! So I guess the questions I am asking is:
  • "Is facebook an appropriate place for something like this? "
  • "Is anybody at fault for speaking their opinions?"
  • "Is it strange to state your opinion on facebook, or stranger to argue against somebody else's opinion"?
  • "does this even matter?"
But I just wanted to post it anyway, probably for my own history keeping instead of really trying to share thoughts, but the status is listed along with comments.



STATUS: To all my gay friends, family members & coworkers, whom I love very much, I celebrate a great triumph in the fight for EQUAL RIGHTS! loves

    • WP: U celebrate against your church. :(
      Thursday at 1:58am ·
    • DD:The church should not be involved in POLITICAL issues. :-(
      Thursday at 2:01am ·
    • DD: Everyone is EQUAL! Jesus said that.
      Thursday at 2:02am ·
    • WP: The church is protecting the family. It is a sad day when the members of the church go against what the leaders of the church who are in direct contact with Christ. Christ loved the sinner but not the sin. And supporting gay marriage is supporting the sin. I stand with the leaders of the church in that gay marriage is not a right. It is a mixture of church and state and once allowed they will be able to force churches to acknowledge gay marriage and preform them. It is a slippery slope that the door should remain shut on.
      Thursday at 2:07am ·
    • DD: Well, we all humbly agree to disagree. That's what makes America great. We don't need our government legislating what you see as a moral choice. When it is NOT a choice! Homosexuals are in no way jepordizing the "family". Love is love and a family is made up of love in whatever combination. Just my opinion, with all due respect, sir.
      Thursday at 2:18am ·
    • WP: America should be about the peoples voice and the people of California over 7 million voted that gay marriage should be ban. One judge who is gay himself disagrees. That it not equality based on the peoples voice it is bias based of the opinion of a judge that should have passed the case to someone else.
      Thursday at 2:23am ·
    • DD:
      However, the millions of dollars donated to the campain by the church and it's members to feed the cause and to solicite votes from the podium is shakey ground between church and state, at best. A campaign of fear is what illicitated 7 mil...See More
      Thursday at 2:40am · · 1 person
    • AML: Thank you Jared M. Young.
      Thursday at 7:53am ·
    • AML: oh and Darla....I couldn't agree more. Thank you too.
      Thursday at 8:00am ·
    • RP: What you tolerate you live with. Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it. America was founded on principles that supported and upheld morals not tried to change them. The majority of the Californian voters weren't even LDS. It's sad when the voice of 70 people outside a government office with trump the voice of 7 million voters.
      Thursday at 8:04am ·
    • RA:
      I view this very differently Jared. I sincerely have no ill will toward gays, nor do I want to take any rights from them. I think that's the biggest myth being propagated about this issue--that gays are being denied rights in California. ...See More
      Thursday at 10:21am · · 1 person
    • WP: Russell. Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Thursday at 10:24am ·
    • WP: Amanda I live in ca your wrong sorry it is not tax code.
      Thursday at 10:47am ·
    • MY (sister to status): Marriage and civil unions are not the same and do not always come with the same benefits. A majority of people in this country also once thought that "separate but equal" was an acceptable way of life. Sometimes the majority isn't right. Sometimes the government is there to stand up for the rights of the minority as well.
      Thursday at 10:55am ·
    • RA: That may be true in some states--but not in terms of California, and not in terms of prop 8. So again, I'd ask, in this case we're discussing, what "rights" are you referring to?
      Thursday at 10:58am ·
    • MY: Anyone interested in the Legal reasoning behind the decision can read the actual document here:
      http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/08/04/prop8ruling.pdf
      Thursday at 11:12am ·
    • KYR (sister to status); William, nobody cares what you think. You are obviously very close minded and need to focus on your life, and not others. Everyone is raised differently. It's not your way or the highway. Keep your negative opinions to yourself.
      Thursday at 11:53am · · 4 people
    • WP: My opinions are not close minded. I am not against a persons sexual choice. I am against people trying to redefine for all of the majority what legal marriage is. A small minority should not be able to make choices for the majority and I am not negative or angry. I will always stand with my church leaders. And my heart is saddened by those that claim to be part of the church but work against the advice of their leaders.
      Thursday at 11:57am ·
    • TR: Jared, I look up to you more than you will ever know. Those who judge are usually those looking for happiness and have way too much time on their hands. Everyone is raised different and can do whatever the hell they want to with their life. Love you Jared!
      Thursday at 12:02pm ·
    • KYR: Ok when someone puts on their status they love and support something why is it you think you need to put your two cents in like that, that's what is SAD!
      Thursday at 12:31pm · · 1 person
    • BT: I love you jared!!!!!!!!!!!!! ♥ lets all play soon ;)
      Thursday at 2:18pm ·
    • JBT (Best friend of Status):
      Dear Bestie,
      Nice and breezy, easy peasy... :) Your ♥ is full of love, goodness and kindness. In a world full of gloom and hate, you bring sunshine and hope. And because we played their songs last night, I must quote: All you need is love, love, love is all you need! And I sure love you!!! Roadtrip soon, Holla ♥ ♥ ♥
      Thursday at 3:01pm · · 1 person
    • HLB: To love people regardless of the race, religion, or sexual preference....isn't that what Jesus taught?!?! He lived among the forgotten. Before you judge others and preach about what the "church" teaches...read a few verses of the Bible and The Book of Mormon!!!
      Thursday at 3:07pm · · 1 person
    • WP: Yes Christ did but to be an example of what was right live the sinner hate the sin you can be gay and be in the church being gay is not a sin it the act of intercourse that is a sin and making gay marriage legal will not make it right in Christs eyes and change it from being a sin. Look at Sodom and Gomorrah.
      Thursday at 3:14pm ·
    • JH: And on a purely political, judicial, pro-traditional marriage, non-hating note, I click "dislike."
      Thursday at 3:45pm ·
    • JBT: (best Friend)
      Hi William, I don't know you and I'm not sure how you know Jared. He's my best friend in the whole world. And what he is saying comes from love and goodness. This was never intended to become a religious/political banter on his page. He sup...See More
      Thursday at 3:55pm · · 2 people
    • WP: I have known him for 10years and his brother Asa too. My only concern is that our decisions define us. You can not be a fence sitter. I love all as well but you have to stand your ground when it comes to religious issues. This judge is openly gay and if you read the order. It is laden with bias. The SCOTUS will overturn this in a heartbeat.
      Thursday at 4:00pm ·
    • DW:
      Fellow children of a loving Heavenly Father, I stand with William Palmer on this.

      I love Jared. We have served together, performed together, been missionaries of Jesus Christ together, and borne testimony of Him and His church together. I will always love him and support him in loving his gay friends and family members (as I love my own).

      But I stand with God's prophets and apostles as they have declared the following:

      "We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God...The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan."---FAMILY: A PROCLAMATION TO THE WORLD.

      I invite all to join with God's appointed apostles and prophets in such a stand. Their words (also from the same proclamation):

      "We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society."

      KAYLA---I absolutely care about what William thinks. And God has called us to care about everyone and the Christian message (Mark 16:15) is to share the gospel with all the world. God raised us all and Jesus calls unto everyone saying, "Come, follow me." (18:22) William is responding to the call and the commission.

      To ALL---William has made no comments anywhere in this post about hating anyone or any minority. If you disagree, post a quote of his words that show that he hates or is negatively judging.

      Darla---why should the church not be involved in political issues? They have NEVER said that they would not. They have only declared that they will not endorse any parties, platforms or candidates. Please read the following as it is an official statement taken from the LDS church website:

      ~

      The Church does not:




      * Endorse, promote or oppose political parties, candidates or platforms.



      * Allow its church buildings, membership lists or other resources to be used for partisan political purposes.



      * Attempt to direct its members as to which candidate or party they should give their votes to. This policy applies whether or not a candidate for office is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.



      * Attempt to direct or dictate to a government leader.

      The Church does:




      * Encourage its members to play a role as responsible citizens in their communities, including becoming informed about issues and voting in elections.



      * Expect its members to engage in the political process in an informed and civil manner, respecting the fact that members of the Church come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences and may have differences of opinion in partisan political matters.



      * Request candidates for office not to imply that their candidacy or platforms are endorsed by the Church.



      * Reserve the right as an institution to address, in a nonpartisan way, issues that it believes have significant community or moral consequences or that directly affect the interests of the Church.

      ~

      The last one is especially important, as the church (including myself) believe that Prop 8 is a significant issue that affects the interests of the Church. Why would it not get involved?

      ~Chris Wilson
      Thursday at 4:08pm · · 2 people
    • LCH:
      I think this is really sad that a loving status,regardless of whether you agree or not, starts out being judgmental in the first comment response & becomes a debate! It's ONLY up to God to judge! I don't think it's appropriate to make FB profiles a forum for debate, especially if one's going to cause it to become a negative issue:( If it's the only way to get a hold of the person (not by choice), then respond in a personal message instead. Most people don't intend their statuses to become drama! FB should always be light-hearted & uplifting! This status definitely wasn't meant to come across in anyway but "Out of LOVE!" God Bless!!!!
      Thursday at 4:11pm · · 1 person
    • WP: This is not drama it is what we believe. I agree with Chris.
      Thursday at 4:14pm ·
    • RA:
      Jared, for the record, in offering my views on this, I sincerely am not in any way judging or questioning your faithfulness to God or your Church. I know better. Believing in our church doesn't mean we have to think everything our church has ever done was perfect--in fact that would be incredibly naive. God's church or not, people are imperfect and flawed. I think no less of you for your views. I'm just passionate about this issue because of past conversations and I wanted to offer my point of view on it--mostly because I don't think it's fair for people to claim that either I or my church have done anything to prevent gays from having the same rights and benefits as straight couples in California.

      In short, I sincerely can find no reason whatsoever to think that prop 8 kept any "rights" or government benefits from gays in California. I sincerely believe the church would have stayed out of the issue if that were the case. In fact, the church has spoken out in support of benefits for gay couples:

      http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=8624086

      I believe church leaders only became involved in this issue because it clearly had nothing to do with rights and freedom, but rather had everything to do with re-defining marriage and an attempt to make homosexuality something that is more broadly accepted in our society. Proponents of gay marriage have done a great job of pretending otherwise though. The new culture is that if you disapprove of any particular behavior, then you must be a hateful closed-minded bigot who is very much unlike Jesus. In reality, cultural lines have to be and are drawn in society. Polygamy is a simple example. It is very much disapproved of in our society--maybe more-so than having multiple sexual partners. In my mind, if we're going to add homosexual relationships into the category of marriage, then government must also recognize polygamist marriages, and so on. And heck, they can if they want, but it should be decided by democracy. I can't imagine this judicial ruling will stand unless there are more gay activist judges in the appeals court who will ignore the voice of the people.
      Thursday at 4:28pm · · 1 person
    • LCH: SORRY didn't mean drama, meant to use the word debate. Everyone has the right to believe what they want & I respect that! Your first comment mainly came across as judging him, looks like I'm not the only one that took it that way, which seemed to start all this. I respect everyone & their beliefs, agree to disagree. GOD LOVES EVERYONE! SMILE :)
      Thursday at 4:28pm ·
    • WP: I am not trying to judge. If you look at it from the side of love. I am sad that someone who is a return missionary would celebrate something the church doesn't support. Again my heart would not be hurt if I didn't have a love for Jared. Jared you are a good man I just thing celebrate may have been the wrong word to use.
      Thursday at 4:34pm ·
    • CW:
      Since when did saying to one of your friends, "I'm sad that you have a view that disagrees with our church," become a comment that people primarily identify as "judging" with a negative connotation? Do we not counsel with our friends? Do we not discuss issues with our friends? Remind them of commitments they have made? Here's a church article on judging by Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the 12 Apostles:

      http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=2d0584d4a0a0c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD
      Thursday at 4:58pm ·
    • LCH: I don't know you Jessica but I wanted to just say I totally agree with your comments...well said & sweet words for Jared! He's lucky to have a best friend like you:) God Bless!
      Thursday at 5:05pm · · 1 person
    • FN:‎"As I have loved you, love one another"....

      If everyone would worry about themselves, everything would be fine... those who are defending the church, are obviously offending others... agree to disagree or pay no mind..

      I love the gospel and I love Jared.. the end...
      Thursday at 7:22pm · · 2 people
    • RMS:
      blah blah blah...
      Jared didn't ask anyone for their opinion especially negative comments for his status. If you are dissatisfied with his happiness on other peoples behalf then don't post anything! Post it on your own page if you feel so inclined.
      Love you Jared.
      Thursday at 9:28pm ·
    • LCH: I totally agree Regina.... Jared didn't deserve any negativity period! I hope you're having a good week so far Jared & glad you're happy :)
      Thursday at 10:28pm ·
    • JE: I hate to add to the drama, but Jared, Jess, people I don't know that support the post, I support you too! And its bothering me that people keep throwing polygamy out there as an example of "worse things to come" to support their opinion when, um hello? The church used to practice polygamy! I would find a better argument that doesn't make you look like a hypocrite. The end.
      Thursday at 11:04pm · · 2 people
    • JG: http://www.newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/church-statement-on-proposition-8-ruling

      i think EVERYONE on this status should read the last paragraph of the statement. :) It might just do the world good. :)
      Yesterday at 12:55am ·
    • RA:
      Speaking only for myself here, I sincerely don't feel that I've attacked Jared in any way. He's twice the man I am. I've offered my views on the subject in a public forum. Jared's comments implied that supporters of prop 8 (this includes the LDS church) are keeping gays from receiving equal rights. I think it's more than acceptable for me to respectfully offer my point of view on the subject, and why I disagree with those implications. I believe I was respectful, and I think I focused on the issue and refrained from getting all ad hominem and directing any personal degradation toward Jared. I think it's sad that so many people have implied that it was wrong for me to offer my views. What progress will be made without discussion? If disagreement is automatically considered negativity or personal attacks, and if we're "offended" every time someone disagrees with our own views, then we will never get along very well in this world. Again, speaking only for my comments here. I stand by them all.

      Jamie, I don't understand why you say I'm a hypocrite. I made clear for exactly this reason that I wasn't comparing behaviors. I simply used polygamy as an example of how society necessarily draws cultural lines in terms of what is endorsed by the people or the government and what is not. I was trying to show that it is impossible to escape the fact that society looks to its particular collective set of values/beliefs/culture/etc. to establish it's laws and ordinances. So while some people here are acting like it's somehow hateful or judgmental for anyone to hold a particular moral position, I'm trying to show that we ALL do so--often without realizing it. Nearly all of our laws ultimately are based on a particular set of morals that our particular society in general holds. In any society, there will be some who have a very different view than the majority in terms of what is morally acceptable. For example, I read today about some muslim honor killings--considered perfectly acceptable in some countries, but considered repugnant and evil in America by most. Since there's no way everyone in America will ever agree on each moral issue (abortion is another example), the best we can do as we try to live together is to let democracy decide what culture and what behaviors America wants to establish for itself. My position is to grant gays freedom to live as they wish, and to grant them the same benefits as straight couples, while not supporting a change to the traditional definition of marriage.
      Yesterday at 1:04am ·
    • GY: Jared! Love you man! WOW...Some of your "friends"...Wow
      Yesterday at 2:41am ·
    • GY: William Palmer, Chris Wilson, and Russell Ash...I know what your real problem is...its because were Black...why you guys got to be racist??? Sorry to kid with you guys but come on...who has time to write these kinds of novels on facebook?...funny
      Yesterday at 2:59am · · 2 people
    • JT: (Best Friend)
      John 8 :7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

      Seeing how Jared and I are besties and I know him very well....He always wishes that tons and tons of people would comment on his status! hahaha, I guess he got his wish. Jared aka Mr. Popular :) I Love you!
      Yesterday at 10:35am · · 1 person
    • LCH: Thanks Jessica! Nice way to break the ice & lighten up this ordeal..|o|! You are a very uplifting person & loyal friend to have!! You & Jared both have a great sense of humor! :)
      Yesterday at 10:54am · · 1 person
    • CW:
      In response to some previous comments, I am stating my beliefs (at length, if needed) because I believe that this is an important issue and will make the time (in spite of my one full-time job and four other jobs this summer) to make a stand on something that is so important to me and to my church.

      I don't feel that I, Russell, or William have "cast stones" or (in another way that the scriptures put it) tried to remove a mote when a beam is in our own eye. We are standing up for our beliefs (something that ALL non-perfect Christians should do and are commanded to do by Jesus Christ) and have not condemned anyone. We believe in sharing in our convictions and helping others come unto Christ. No one is forced to listen nor is looked down upon for not agreeing with us, but we still will make our stand.

      And yes, I do hope that the racist comment was in jest....I frankly do not find that comment appropriate. Some of my closest friends are Tongans, African-Americans, Africans, Mexicans, and from many other cultures. My own sister-in-law (whom I am VERY close to) is from El Salvador and Costa Rica.
      23 hours ago ·
    • CW: And thank you, my good friend Jeremiah, for the post on the church's official position. =D
      23 hours ago ·
    • GY:
      Hey guys! Good Luck on your up-coming election for Prophet as you are obviously running for some office in the church! You definately have my vote! Yes You Can!...make people think mormons are crazy by over posting on facebook. Well it's been fun but I have to get back to my job...I only have one job...not like your 5...but I really wouldn't want to brag about how hard I work at my 5 jobs or it might sound like I am saying "Look at me, Look at me, Look at me."

      And I'm out!

      Jared thanks for the laugh...See you at church!
      17 hours ago · · 2 people
    • LCH:
      Gene...AWESOME!! I respect people's beliefs...agree to disagree, but no matter what religion one is....the way these few people have come across turns most people OFF to wanting to be in any religion, much less want to be christian in general! I hope these people have now learned to let this go in posting these close-minded rants, especially taking up space on someone's profile (not the time nor place for this!) It's really sad that you few people,you know who we're talking about, judges & treats your own church family member like this! I don't wish this on anyone..no matter how well I know that person:) Good luck with your approach...if it turns off your own church members, think about how you're looking to ones that aren't even mormon...just a thought & suggestion. YOUNG FAMILY ROCKS!!! PEACE OUT!
      17 hours ago ·
    • RA:
      One thing has been made clear above all else in this post. America is absolutely incapable of discussing issues. However hard you try to remain purely objective, If you disagree with someones expressed views, you're told to just keep your mouth shut, called closed-minded, hypocritical, and mocked. All the while, not a single person besides Malea made any attempt to actually discuss the issue or the points I raised.

      I think you should give Jared a bit more credit. Something tells me he's not crying in his room because I shared my views on this issue after he shared his. I still don't think I've been disrespectful or judgmental of Jared in any way. Not unless you equate disagreement with disrespect.

      I think everyone needs to realize that disagreement is not the same as disrespect, and that Americans discussing complex and important issues in more than 3 sentences is a good thing, not a bad thing. If this issue really means anything to any of you, whichever side you're on, then you should be pretty happy that there are people trying to actually discuss the issue. Instead, there are more posts here with ad hominem attacks toward me than there are posts with people talking about the issue in a significant way. This discussion = failure.
      10 hours ago ·

1 comment:

  1. OH....WOW!!!! I thoroughly enjoyed? reading that. OH...I just have so much to say...must be said in person. I am laughing and crying inside. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete

Just....write it.