i try. i make mistakes. i grow. i love. i love to eat pineapple. i cook and bake whenever i can. thai food is good for my soul. i collect blankets, sweat pants, and crazy socks. i believed i was peter pan when i was a child. i love to love. summertime is my favorite. i love feeling the sun on my face. i have a lot of good intentions. i had a bowl cut when i was younger. shakespeare was a genius. i love to laugh. God is everywhere. i love having painted toes. i am very blessed, and i try to "live life, every, every moment"

Sunday, May 24, 2015

a play by play

Here's a play-by-play of my life right now. (I'm typing on my phone, so excuse all the errors)

I'm in La canada right now at the fiesta days Celebration for Memorial Day.  There's live music, and a ton of people sitting around on blankets waiting for the firework show that will happen at sun down.

Right now, there's a young high school kid playing the electric guitar and singing a John Mayer song, while his friends are in front screaming their heads off at the most random times in support of him. Normally, that would really irritate me, but i actually don't mind it. I think it's kind of neat that they are obnoxious and borderline immature, because they're living in the moment and having a great time.

In front of the stage are several tiny, tiny children dancing to their heart's content, posing for pictures that mom and dad and grandma are taking. Little ones these days know how to perform. I wonder how that will serve them in their adult years. Ope....song change. Now there are adults and teenagers dancing in front. I like that. We don't dance enough. I sometimes wish dancing was still part of social gatherings, or that boys and girls could go out together dancing, and that's exactly what it would be: dancing. Sure, 90% of them re just standing there and look a little insecure or "too cool", but they are there. Props to them.

To my right is a man sitting in a lawn chair staring ahead, while his wife is on her phone, much like I am. He has a fantastic beard with some fantastic colors in it. Though it's cold, he's got a t shirt and shorts, and just gave the most impressive yawn I've ever seen. His wife looks pretty upset. Or miserable. Maybe they just had an argument. Maybe she's col.  Maybe her neutral face is one of discontent, much like my own. Regardless, there they are.

To my left is a small child in a blue and white polka dotted sweater, staring at me. She's got a pink pacifier in her mouth, and stumbles around like she's a little drunk, when i look away, she comes close.  But when I look at her, she freezes and then slowly backs up. Leave it to me to fins myself playing with kids at an adult function. I'm supposed to be meeting a bunch of friends from my ward here, but now that I'm here and settled, I don't mind being by myself and listening to music/watching people.

We just stood as they lowered the flag while the band played that song they always play. Everybody stood and watched, but there was one older gentleman who stood in salute to the flag with impressive posture and focus. Clearly a Veteran. And it makes me think "I don't know if I've ever felt as dedicated and proud of my country or my flag. I guess I grew up in a different era, and though I've lived through some wars and such, I've not adopted the same reverence. I could work on that.

I just made eye contact with the bearded man. Hello.

A 15 year old is singing a Frankie Valli song, and killing it. Get it, girl.

I should have stopped before that last Oreo.

The bearded man is now dancing with his wife. There's that smile.

My friends are now here, and things feel good. There are good people in my life. I sometimes forget that: I forget to let the people in my life actually be in my life. If I hadn't have met up with my friends tonight, I would have sat on this blanket by myself and probably been ok with it all. I enjoy my private time. But there would have been a little tinge in my stomach, the all too familiar tinge that reminds me that I am alone. And what's more, is that more often than not,  I choose for it to be that way.

Tonight is good. It is nice to let people be in your life. Good job, Kelly.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Just....write it.