i try. i make mistakes. i grow. i love. i love to eat pineapple. i cook and bake whenever i can. thai food is good for my soul. i collect blankets, sweat pants, and crazy socks. i believed i was peter pan when i was a child. i love to love. summertime is my favorite. i love feeling the sun on my face. i have a lot of good intentions. i had a bowl cut when i was younger. shakespeare was a genius. i love to laugh. God is everywhere. i love having painted toes. i am very blessed, and i try to "live life, every, every moment"

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Why I Love America

At some point in my life, I got it into my head that I needed to do everything, and be good at it. So when I was 14 years old, I entered a Speech Competition. I don't know what I was thinking. I don't even like public speaking. Aside from acting, I had no previous experience in it, and it scared the poop out of me. But, I entered it anyway. The theme of the speeches had to do with America, and why we loved it. Tonight, I was going through some old boxes at my house, and I found this speech that I wrote, and had completely forgotten about. So, I'm posting it here so I don't lose it.

__________________________________

Why I love America

Her real name must have been Natalie. I never actually met her, but I think I know her quite well. MY family was sunbathing at a lake when we heard a ruckus. One woman and several children were setting up a barbecue. She was a large woman with long, greasy black hair, and a sunburn peeling off her shoulders. She was wearing a black tank-top with scarlet writing on the front that said "Wild Cheery", and on the back, "Nice and Nasty". All 11 children were obviously offspring: overweight with greasy black hair. Except for one of the girls. She had blonde hair and was wearing a faded floral one-piece swimsuit. Her shoulder straps were rolled up and pinned, but the buttocks still sagged clear down to her knees. obviously a hand-me-down from one of the larger children. The rest of the group called her Nat'ly.

Wild Cherry was trying to keep Nat'ly out of the lake by threatening her. "If you don't behave, you aint gonna get no hot hod!" Every few minutes, Nat'ly would edge closer to the lake .Wild Cherry would chase her down, drag her back, and say "I done told you to stay here when I kin watch you! If you don't behave, you aint gonna get no hot dog!" After a few more hot dog threats, the other kids decided to go in on the act. When Nat'ly did step int the lake, we heard "Mama! Look what Nat'ly done done!" Wild Cherry barreled into the lake, grabbed Nat'ly by the back of the swimsuit, and said "Well Nat'ly, you done it now! You aint gonna get no hot dog for shore! You just like your daddy! Good for nuffin!" Then, she shoved her under the water. We stood up, ready to save Nat'ly, but Wild cherry brought her back up. Nat'ly blinked, and Wild Cherry glared. Suddenly, Nat'ly sprayed Wild Cherry. "Look" she said, "I'm a fountain!" Wild Cherry made a swipe fr her, but Nat'ly escaped into the trees and out of sight.

When people talk about the image that is America, many faces may come to mind: Mary Lou Retten beaming her smile for the whole world to see after throwing herself down the runway of the Vault, and nailing a perfect 10; the profile of our "American Shakespeare", Mark Twain, with his sardonic mustache and cigar; of the famous black and white photo of the expressionless Rosa Parks, looking out the window of the bus, seemingly ignoring not only the person demanding her seat, but the whole system itself. For me though, the image of America is a little of place girl in a swimsuit 8 sizes too large.

Something about Nat'ly represents America. Perhaps it's the fact that America has always rooted for the underdog. From the 1980 Olymic Miracle on Ice to the outmanned British Airman fighting the blitzkrieg in WWII, our American hearts cheer for those who stand for a cuase, be it as great as the liberation of a country, or as small as a seat on the bus. Think about it. When I told you about Nat'ly, whom id you find yourself rooting for? Whild Cherry with her greasy black hair? Or Nat'ly, with her "I won't be beaten" attitude?

Perhaps Nat'ly is aMerica because she finds reason to celebrate life even in harsh circumstances. Who else but Nat'ly would turn into a fountain immediately after a near death experience? Who else but the American Hollywood could find a way to celebrate life during the Great Depression by helping us to forget?

Maybe Nat'ly's family situation represents would many countries have thought about America throughout its development: a ragtag collection full of illegitimate children; a bunch of pretenders of various races and colors. A country who didnt know any better than to accept the rules without challenging established tradition. I for one, love that early Americans did challenge the rules.

But one solid reason why I love Nat'ly, why I love America, can be found in the last chapter of the Nat'ly story. "An hour and a half after Nat'ly had escaped wild Cherry, we packed up to go home. As we were backing out of our parking space, we happened to glance over to where Wild Cherry's family was splashing in the lake. Alone at the picnic table, was Nat'ly. She sat, swinging her legs, a beatific smile on her face, with mustard dripping on her chin and catsup stuck in her hair, eating the hot dog she was told she would never get. 

_______________________________

Well....that's my speech. Remember, I was 14 years old when I wrote and delivered this speech. That was ten years ago! But...it did land me third place and a $400.00 check, so....not too shabby. I had forgotten completely about this story until I just re-read the speech. Oh America. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm not surprised you won with that speech...you have so many talents! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Just....write it.