i try. i make mistakes. i grow. i love. i love to eat pineapple. i cook and bake whenever i can. thai food is good for my soul. i collect blankets, sweat pants, and crazy socks. i believed i was peter pan when i was a child. i love to love. summertime is my favorite. i love feeling the sun on my face. i have a lot of good intentions. i had a bowl cut when i was younger. shakespeare was a genius. i love to laugh. God is everywhere. i love having painted toes. i am very blessed, and i try to "live life, every, every moment"

Friday, February 18, 2011

Owls

I really like owls.

Could you tell?

I don't think I even thought about owls until a couple years ago when my grandmother was moved from California to Utah.

My dad's mom, Grandma Hennessey, suffers from sever alzheimer's right now, and is progressively getting worse. My dad, being the only sane and responsible one in his entire family, has taken on the job of caring for my grandmother and making sure she has the best care possible.
My grandma is one sassy lady. For that matter, both of my grandmother's are. Even in the worst of situations, she is able to smile and make a sassy or witty remark, and she is such a joy to be around.

But with that said, Grandma Hennessey LOVES owls. Growing up, I always thought that was soo strange: they can be so ugly! I never understood it. But when she moved to Utah, I made it a goal to visit my grandma at least once a week, or as often as I could. We would sit and chat for a few hours about anything and everything, at least a couple of times per visit. I started to bring my ipod recorder and recording our conversations to keep on file for my dad as a surprise. Unfortunately, I had a laptop of DEATH and it crashed and lost ALL of those precious files. Needless to say, I was heartbroken to have lost such a valuable thing.

Anywho, I was thinking about my grandmother this morning, and realized that I love owls now just as much as she does, and I think that she has something to do with is.

Me and Grandma in her nursing home a few years ago in LA.

And guess what her favorite phrase is?

diddely-shit

But because she's a "lady", she just says diddely instead....

Except for when I'm around, because we swear at each other to make each other laugh. Its our little secret.

1 comment:

  1. If you haven't already take your computer to a major guru to see if they can find and save those precious recordings. What a great gift, I really hope you can somehow get them back.

    Aren't grandparents the best? Even if they aren't themselves, they are still pretty great!

    ReplyDelete

Just....write it.