It's ok if you haven't. She's not very well known, and isn't very funny at all. This book is a huge snooze-fest.
Actually, I'm lying to you.
Amy Poehler is an incredible woman that possess so many traits I yearn to have. She also possess traits I don't care for at all, but let's focus on the positive, shall we? She is smart, and talented, and ballsy. This lady has some nuts, if you know what I mean. I could do well to grow a pair of those (metaphorically speaking of course.)
I've loved this book. I've loved her insight on life, and career, and how to find what is most important in this fast and furious world. I just wanted to share some of my favorite pieces of insight that I marked up in the book: things I connected with, things I thought were humorous, and things I felt she wrote in a way that is better than anything I could have ever come up with.
"Every working person needs someone to come home to and someone to come get them out of the home. Someone who asks questions about their day and maybe fixes them something to eat. Every mother needs a wife who takes care of her and helps her become a better mother.
"Sleep can completely change your entire outlook on life. One good night's sleep can help you realize that you shouldn't break up with someone, or you are being too hard on your friend, or you actually will win the race or the game or get the job. Sleep helps you win at life"
"Don't think. Get out of your head. Stop planning and just go."
She has a section of things she learned from her parents, and lists them accordingly. These are a few of the ones I thought were worth remembering and implementing in my own life/future:
Things learned from mom:
- Always tell people when they do a good job.
- Have fun dancing
- Love your husband and don't belittle him.
- Love your kids and hope they do better than you did
- There's not much we can do about our Irish eyebrows (Ain't that the truth)
- Memorize poems.
Things learned from Dad:
- Ask for what you want
- Keep trying
- Don't work too hard
- It's okay to cry.
- It's okay to argue
- Everything in moderation
"You have to figure out which crazy people to listen to and which crazy people to ignore."
Regarding calling something quits: "It's important to know when to turn in your kazoo." (You'll have to read the story.)
This one feels especially true regarding my move from Utah to California: "....All satisfying in their low level of risk. I surfed in a very cool and confident zone and my ego was snuggly and warm in a sleeping bag of safe choices."
"...Not that there is anything wrong with crying. It was Mario Thomas and the Free to be....you and me gang who reminded us that 'crying gets the sad out'. It's just that sometimes anger should just stay anger and tears and change anger to something else."
"We kept our heads down and did our jobs. We controlled the only thing we could, which was the show. We did the thing. Because remember, the talking about the thing isn't the thing. The doing of the thing is the thing."
"The only thing we can depend on in life is that everything changes. The seasons, our partners, what we want and need...change is the only constant. Your ability to navigate and tolerate change and it's uncomfortableness directly correlates to your happiness and general well-being...If you can surf your life rather than plant your feet, you will be happier."
"Time moves too slow or too fast. But I know a secret. You can control time. You can stop it or stretch it or loop it around. You can travel back and forth by living in the moment and paying attention. Time can be your bi$#% if you let go of the 'next' and the 'before.'"
"People help you time-travel. People work around you and next to you and the universe waits for the perfect time to whisper in your ear; "Look this way." There is someone in your life right now who may end up being your enemy, your wife, or your boss. Lift up your head and you may notice."
"....I noticed every detail. That is the key to time travel. You can only move if you are actually in the moment. You have to be where you are to get where you need to go."
"I firmly believe that every boy needs his mom to love him and every girl needs her dad to pay attention to her.
"When your children arrive, the best you can hope for is that they break open everything about you....You realize how nice it feels to care about someone else more than yourself."
She's no Emerson, but she speaks my language. She's blunt. She's funny. She writes how she speaks, and her voice is similar to mine. I appreciate that.
On to the next book.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Just....write it.