i try. i make mistakes. i grow. i love. i love to eat pineapple. i cook and bake whenever i can. thai food is good for my soul. i collect blankets, sweat pants, and crazy socks. i believed i was peter pan when i was a child. i love to love. summertime is my favorite. i love feeling the sun on my face. i have a lot of good intentions. i had a bowl cut when i was younger. shakespeare was a genius. i love to laugh. God is everywhere. i love having painted toes. i am very blessed, and i try to "live life, every, every moment"

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Things I'm learning in LA

So....I moved to California about 2.5 weeks ago. And it is awesome. I mean, I really love it out here. I consider it an extended vacation, which seems to be the best viewpoint to have on life because it makes everything so much more fun. "I am only doing the thing that I want to do!" But seriously though...I am. I get to take classes (starting Oct 1). I get to meet new people. I get to try new restaurants when my budget allows. I get to reform myself into the person that I really want to be, because nobody out here knows me or really gives a behind as to where I've come from or what I've done. It's all new, and I find that very exciting (and stressful....)

But in my short time here, I've learned a few things. And because I'm obsessed with lists, here is another one:


  • People don't use their blinkers. It's not a huge deal, but people don't really signal. They just go. And it's ok. Nobody gets mad about it, really, and everybody is aggressive. You'll die if you aren't.
  • People don't text and drive. I know it's against the law, but everybody does it in Utah. Not here. Nosiree, if you so much get distracted for one second, you're a dead man. It's illegal to talk on the phone and drive too, which is taking some getting used to. 
  • Thai food is everywhere. LOVE IT.
  • Venice Beach makes me feel weird. "two dollars for a doobie, and I'll show you my boobies!" I chuckled as this was shouted at me as we were walking down the street, but it was an uncomfortable chuckle, not a "hey man, you are just so funny" kind of chuckle.
  • My armenian neighbors don't smile. It seems.
  • gas is expensive, but I can get the lowest grade out here, because California has regulated higher octane levels (If you don't know what octane level your engine requires, you should check your user manual. It'll help preserve your engine)
  • 85 degrees out here is starting to feel like "cooler weather" to me.
  • I really miss the leaves and color changes. 
  • I love the beach. I always have, but I am starting to love actually GETTING IN the ocean. Who knew. When I come to Utah next, I will have to steal some of my family's boogie boards so I can actually do something in the ocean. (I'm a terrible body surfer)
  • Everybody is an actor, or a writer, or whatever. I learned real quick that I used to identify myself as an "Actor" (in my own heart) and....that is rubbish and pointless. 
  • Everybody feels like its their responsibility to tell you how hard it is out here and how you won't succeed. I wonder if they think they're the first person to say that. It's like it is their personal responsibility to crush you down. All I've ever heard is "oh, its really hard. You've got to blah blah blah blah blah, and that rarely happens". OH suck it. I don't care that you had this and this experience, or that you feel such and such way. I'm not you, and I will be successful in whatever I want to do. K Bye.
  • I'm self-conscious of my Utah driver's license. I'm a proud Utahn, but secretly feel the other drivers are judging me for whatever mistake I am ignorantly making.
  • Jack in the Box is delicious, but not THAT delicious.
  • There is always something happening. It is great for getting rid of my social anxiety. 
  • My neighbor's new dog might not see the light of day ever again if it wakes me up one more time at 6 am.
  • Being yourself is MUCH easier when you don't have anybody to impress or disappoint. Being a stranger has it's benefits!
  • Non-members don't make being a Mormon difficult,......Mormons make being a Mormon difficult (chew on that for a while.) The Church culture out here is very refreshing, and I didn't realize how refreshing it was until I was out here. I love Church here. It is the grandest.
  • Parking is a *swear-word*
  • everybody has a cute dog.
  • It's real hot.
  • Having my cousin Stooph out here is the funnest thing. 
  • I probably visit the beach once a week. It's good for my health....
  • Institute isn't as great as it was in Provo, but it is still a good thing. 
  • People are people, and that's neat. 

1 comment:

Just....write it.